Thursday 30 January 2014

Spellbook

This week we made a low polygon book. My book was 284 triangles. The idea of this was to see how to make textures for low detail models. It was made from a box with 3 segments on each side whilst the clasp was made from a cube which I extruded repeatedly. Unwrapping the model was very difficult due to the leather overlapping and joining into the page section. I ended up using a mixture of tools to unwrap it including splitting edges, manually moving vertices and the unfold option. 


Making the texture proved quite difficult. The leather was a combination of 3 types of leather which I then painted over. The writing and runes were done using bevel and emboss, outer shadow and colour overlay on some occasions. The pages were just images that I changed the levels, hue and saturation on. The clasp was a few different iron photos overlaying each other. 


This is my final book. I'm very happy with how it turned out but would like to try engraving things into the leather next time. All in all I spent around 30 minutes on modelling, an hour and a half on unwrapping and 4 and a half hours on the texture itself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment