Thursday 3 April 2014

Completely finished face

Today I finished all work to do with the alien head paint over. This involved baking all the details and colour values from the high poly head (in the millions of polygons) to the low poly head in Maya (6,000 polygons). Despite the massive polygon difference, their isn't too much difference when you look at the 2 heads. They both look great and I'm really happy with my work. I created a number of maps for the head but most were done through just using the low and high poly meshes, only the specular required me to paint it myself. The UV'ing of the low poly head was quite difficult but with the help of my friend and lecturer this went quite smoothly and ended up giving me a good result.

Overall I really enjoyed this part of the module. It went smoothly, the work I created looks good and it didn't even take that long. I learnt how to do several basic painting techniques in ZBrush which will be very useful in future. I also learnt about how to bake out of ZBrush onto a low poly version of the model. It also helped me a little with imagination (don't laugh, it's true!) as it got me thinking about using a wider spread of things for textures. On this alien head alone I used jellyfish, burnt flesh, rotten flesh, several types of bone, gecko eyes, lizard scales and raw meat pictures to create his final image. This was a great exercise.

Next I plan to get some nice Marmoset renders of the low poly head before moving onto completing the cottage assignment before my final hand in on the 28th of April.

The Low Poly Head In Maya


Ambient Occlusion Map



Cavity Map


Diffuse Map


 Normal Map


Specular Map


No comments:

Post a Comment