Friday 21 February 2014

Metal walkway progress

My other task set for this module for the coming weeks was to make a metal walkway, again tile-able. I started off with a galvanized steel texture. It's quite plain but I removed some of the more stand out areas of by using a High Pass Filter on it.


I then made it tile by again using the offset filter on it to see the joins of the texture. It didn't require much work to fix, just a little brush work along with the clone stamp tool.


This is the first of 3 variants of the texture. It has metal grips on it that would prevent slipping. These were made using the marquee tool, brush tool, drop shadow layer effect and playing with the opacity and fill settings of the layer. I struggled to get them to line up properly and tile for a while but using the grid I eventually got a decent result. The reason for such a clean texture is that it will be tiled many times meaning that any dirt or scratches could easily be noticed when repeated. 


This is the second variant. Just some simple warning stripes along the side where it would meet the wall. I used a layer mask to add some scratches to it to make it a little more interesting alongside some dirt where it meets the wall. It will tile fine but I am a little worried that the scratches could be noticed repeating. 


This is the 3rd and final variant. It is the variant that would be situated in the center of the hall. It's pretty simple, it has the base texture flipped from the center so that it can tile both ways on the hallway (the other variants would have to be flipped. The detail is quite simple, it has a large galvanized steel overlay on the green painted area, darker paint in the center area, simple scratches done through a layer mask and the large black areas will have alpha maps applied to make it see through which would show a lower area, possibly with lights in. 


This is the alpha map. White information is visible whilst black isn't there so just the black areas will be removed. 


For this assignment I still need to make normal maps of all three of these and probably a specular map but then I'll simply apply it on some planes and it will be done. 

UPDATE

So I made the specular maps for all 3 variants along with normal maps which still need to be normalized next week in the computer labs. My first specular is pretty straight forward, shiny metal.


Here the painted areas aren't going to shine as much and neither would the dirt. I have kept the scratches there since they would shine but otherwise the same as the first. 


Yet again much the same, the middle area is coloured and so wouldn't shine as much. The black areas are being alpha mapped so wouldn't have any shine and the darker area is in a recess so wouldn't catch so much light. Scratches kept in again.


Here's my first normal map for the standard texture and variant 1 since the paint won't change the normal map. It obviously needed to be added to so that's what I did.


Here is the next version of the normal map that still needs to be normalized. It's very simple, yet hopefully very effective. 


The original version of my variant 3 texture's normal map. Needed adding too.


I layered it up using gaussian blur and overlayed duplicates of it. It's simple but hopefully very nice.














No comments:

Post a Comment