Tuesday 11 March 2014

Cottage door

I started an assignment this week which involves texturing an entire supplied cottage (very similar style to fable cottages). The first thing I did was normal map the cottage. This was problematic for quite a while as I didn't know about the unlock normals tool. However once shown this I finished the task quickly.


After the normal map I made an AO map which whilst not baking all that much information certainly gave enough for me to work with, any areas I wasn't happy with I went and quickly painted in.


When working on the diffuse, my first attempt ended up being a very washed out door made from driftwood. Whilst I liked the look of it, it was a bit dull and the cottage looks like it's from Fable, not exactly the right scenario to use this kind of texture in.


Following this I made a brighter more fitting diffuse. I added old metal hinges and door handle along with celtic patterns along the arch and the pillars for decoration and a slight fantasy feel.


And here's the door whilst still missing more normal mapped details which I can't do yet (need to use another computer for converting normal maps) and the specular map. I'm really happy with it so far and hope I can get the normal map working really well.




No comments:

Post a Comment